Fresh air and new experiences are vital for children to soar to greater heights. We encourage Bassett House children to gain independence, resilience, team skills, self-reliance, a willingness to take risks and an interest in the wider world by taking them on optional residential trips.
These start at age 7 or 8 in Form 3. We recognise that for many children, a school residential trip will give them the first night they spend away from family, so, we focus on helping every child to feel secure and have fun in a new environment.
Our residential adventures include:
- making a geography field trip to Suffolk, with after-dark nature trails and bug hunting,
- learning to sail a dinghy on the Isle of Wight,
- backpacking by train to York for a week of cathedral city sights,
- sleeping out in a homemade woodland shelter on a bushcraft activity expedition,
- spending a week at an outward-bound château in France where only French is spoken, and
- having a sleepover in the Science Museum, with scientific activities organised by museum staff.